All fee-paying international students studying within Surrey Schools (other than those living with a parent) are required to appoint a custodian by way of a notarized declaration.
The following is a list of the minimum requirements expected from the custodian:
- Must be 25 years of age or older.
- Must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident residing within Metropolitan Vancouver.
- Take full responsibility for the student by ensuring that the child’s basic needs such as suitable accommodation, food, transportation and living expenses are provided.
- Monitor, encourage, support and ensure reasonable academic progress is being made by the student and report the progress to the parent(s) in the home country.
- Upon request, be available to meet with the International Education Department, school administration or other Surrey Schools staff.
- May be required to assist student with obtaining or renewing the study permit.
- Must assist in the registration of the student each school year.
- Must immediately notify the International Education Department of any change in:
- Custodian: a parent must first appoint a new custodian by way of signed/notarized documents from parent and new custodian before the current custodian can be released from the current duties.
- Homestay/Living Arrangements: change of homestay/living arrangement requires a new Statement of Address form to be forwarded to the International Education Department.