The Surrey Schools International Student Program is a full-time, in-person, academic English immersion program. Students are best served by face-to-face, school-based instruction at their home school. However, as long as a student is registered in a full-time secondary school program in one of our 21 secondary schools, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) permits students to take additional courses online. A study permit cannot be issued solely for the purpose of taking online courses, therefore fee-paying international students cannot study online full-time.
Terms and Conditions for Online Course Study:
- International students are not permitted to withdraw from any school-based course without approval by BOTH the school-based International Student Advocate (ISA) Teacher (or International Education Department Teacher where there is no ISA at the school) AND the student’s school counselor.
- International students may not substitute in-person school-based courses for the same/equivalent online course.
- Any online course registration must be pre-approved by BOTH the school-based International Student Advocate (ISA) Teacher (or International Education Department Teacher where there is no ISA at the school) AND the student’s school counselor.
- The first choice for any online learning course is SAIL - Surrey Academy of Innovative Learning.
- In the event that a desired online course is unavailable through SAIL, the school ISA or counselor will advise the student of an appropriate online learning provider with preference being given to another public school district’s online program. The student must take the desired course from the online provider recommended.
- Students are responsible for paying all fees related to the additional online course. These fees are not included and in addition to the Surrey Schools International Student Program fee.